Sunday, February 5, 2023

Disappearing Fight

Created for Project Quilting 14.3 – 54-40 or Fight.


I started by drafting an 18" 54-40 or fight block. I wanted to strip piece the components of the block and felt this size was big enough to accommodate that. I put together one block with thoughts of possibly 3 to make a table runner.


The completed block didn't excite me. 54-40 or fight is a really cool block that can be used in amazing designs by alternating it another block. No time or place for that here. So I decided to layer my one block and quilt it and call it a day. Before I had a backing picked out my husband, Frank, came in and I quit for the day.

As I was waking up the next morning I had a thought of cutting up the block and putting it back together. This sounded more like how I might approach a challenge.

                            

Since my block was based on 3 and 6 inch units, I decided to cut it into 4 1/2" squares. so I started at one edge and cut. When I got to the center, I was 1/4" short of the seam, so I cut the seam out and continued across, then rotated 90 degrees and cut again.

I rearranged the piecees until I found something I like ad sewed them back together. This method reminds me of the disappearing nine patch technique, so I named it Disappearing Fight. It seems appropriate since the matter the block name refers to was solved without a fight.

Created by Diane Lapacek near Poynette, WI
16" x 16"

2 comments:

  1. That turned out really cool! I'm glad you made it disappearing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. SEW awesome, Diane!!! LOVE the string piecing and the disappearing act for your PQ 14.3 entry!

    ReplyDelete